Discreet Confidential Consultation (213) 542-0979

How Long Do I Have To Register As A Sex Offender In California?

Usually, after a sex crime conviction, you'll be put on probation and then the court will order you to report to probation. The probation officer will give you instructions. If you've been ordered to register as a sex offender, you should do so as soon as possible.

The typical registration requirement is you have to register where you are, every year within five days of your birthday. When you first go to register, you'll be given verbal instructions, written instructions, and some paperwork that you have to sign. This is the paperwork that they'll use, if you violate your requirements to register as a sex offender.

They will then use that paper to show that you knew what you were supposed to do. Then, they can charge you with a Penal Code Section 290 violation, which is a felony. Now, you're looking at a strike case and 32 months in prison, minimum. It's very important that you follow the instructions of the court, the probation department, or the parole department, as it relates to registering.

How Often Does A Sex Offender Have To Register In California?

Typically, a sex offender will have to register every year within five days of their birthday. If you move or if you become homeless, you have to go in right away and let the police department know that you've moved or you've become transient.

If you're moving to another state, you've got to let the authorities in California know. Otherwise, they will issue an arrest warrant for you. When you get caught, you'll be arrested and extradited back to California. You will face some pretty serious Penal Code Section 299 registration charges and you'll be potentially facing time in prison.

What Happens If A Convicted Sex Offender Does Not Register?

The police, prosecutors, and judges take sex offender registration very seriously. Failing to register is a violation of Penal Code Section 290. A person who failed to register would be looking at being arrested and serving time in prison.

The police have an automatic trigger set up, so if you don't register when you're supposed to, they're going to find out about it. They will put you on a list and put a warrant out for your arrest. They'll start going to search for you, starting at the address where you were supposed to register.

They'll also look at your driver's license and see where you have lived before. They'll see where your family is. They've got ways to find you and when they do, they're going to arrest you. Not registering is a serious violation and is typically filed as a felony.

If your original offense was a strike, you'll be looking at your sentence being doubled. If you fail to register on time, you'll want to get in and register as soon as you can. You also want to have an attorney guide you through the process, so that if you have failed to register, you can try to do some damage control. If you are arrested and sent to court, your attorney can represent that you just made a mistake, explaining to the prosecutor and trying and get some leniency for you.

What Are Some Mistakes People Make When Registering As A Sex Offender?

A lot of times, people don't pay attention when they go into the police station. They don't take a copy of the documents. They forget about what their responsibilities are and they make a mistake. If you're on felony probation, you have registration requirements in California.

Know what your requirements are, know what the terms of your probation are, and know what the contract is that you sign when you go into the police station and register. Stay in contact with your attorney and with your probation officer. Don't put yourself in a bad position, as it relates to failing to register.

For more information on Registering As A Sex Offender In California, a free initial consultation is your best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (213) 542-0979 today.

Contact Us Today

Hedding Law Firm is committed to answering your questions about state or federal sex crime issues in California and throughout the United States.

I'll privately discuss your case with you at your convenience. All consultations are free, discreet, and confidential. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.