Sex Crime Defense in Los Angeles County
LEARN WHAT CAUSES A CASE TO BE FILED AS A SEX CRIME
When it comes to human contact there is a dividing line between that behavior that is innocent and that behavior that crosses the line into criminal behavior. Many times that line is fuzzy and it is hard to tell whether what the accused did was lawful or not.
Other times it is clear that the defendant’s behavior was unlawful or was lawful and the authorities simply do not have all of the facts that show the person is innocent of the crime. It is up to a seasoned attorney to show the prosecutors the other side of the story in those cases that are filed improperly, because all of the facts have not been flushed out by the police.
It is sometimes an uphill battle because some or all of the most crucial facts are in dispute. In this scenario, a jury usually must decide which facts are true and which facts are not true. This is where things become complicated and only the most seasoned sex crime defense attorneys should be at the helm of these cases and make the decisions that will either make or break the case.
California Sex Crime Information:
- What Is Considered Rape Under California State Law?
- How Long Do I Have To Register As A Sex Offender In LA County?
- What Is Considered Indecent Exposure In Los Angeles County?
- What Should I Do If I’ve Been Accused Of A Sex Offense On Campus?
- What Is Considered Illegal Sexting Under California Law?
- If I Accidentally Posted A Nude Image Of My Boyfriend Online And Then Took It Down, Can I Still Be Charged?
- Craigslist Sex Crime Defense In Los Angeles
- How Long Does It Take To Investigate A Sex Crime In Los Angeles?
- Who Investigates Sex Crime Cases?
- Burglary With Intent To Commit Sexual Assault
- Seizure And Search Of Computers In Sex Crime Cases In Los Angeles
- Accidental Touching In A Sex Crime Case In Los Angeles
- Sex Or Touching With An Incapacitated Person
- Conspiracy To Commit A Sex Crime In Los Angeles
- What Is Considered A Sex Crime In California State?
- How Is A Sex Crime Charge Determined To Be Either A Misdemeanor Or A Felony?
- What Can Someone Do To Mitigate The Charges In A Sex Crime Case?
- Sex Trafficking Criminal Defense Attorney – Orange County
- What’s The Difference Between A Sex Crime And Sexual Harassment?
- Your Best Strategy if You Have A Sex Crime Case Pending In The Van Nuys Courthouse
- Rape of an Unconscious Woman or Spouse
- Factors that Determine Whether you have to Register as a Sex Offender in Los Angeles
- Unlawful Sexual Intercourse With Minor More Than Three Years Younger
- California Jury Instruction for Continuous Sexual Abuse of a Minor Under 14
- Los Angeles Jury Instructions for Sexual Battery
- Why Is It Important To Get An Attorney Involved Early In A Sex Crime Case?
- Police are Investigating My Brother For A Sex Crime; When Will They Arrest Him?
- 10 Things to Avoid in a California Sex Crime Case
- Punishments for Underage Sex Trafficking in California
- Lewd Conduct Penalties Under California Penal Code 647(a)
Those cases that fall into the category of “grey area” as far as whether they should be filed or not are the ones that the prosecutors will likely have the police do further investigation on before they actually file the case.
I have been involved many times at the pre-filing phase of a sex crime case and it is not always easy for the prosecutors to decide what the right thing to do is.
As a defense attorney I will typically contact the prosecutor or lead detective on these cases and try and figure out where the issues are and see if there is any evidence or information we can bring to bear in order to have the filing decision go in our favor and avoid having to defend the case in the first place.
Sometimes the prosecutors are receptive to this approach, while other times they do not want to deal with the defense until after they have made their own independent decision on a case.
When I meet with clients to discuss their sex crime case we will be focusing on whether the authorities have the evidence they need to prosecute them and if we have any evidence or information in our possession that can assist in them not filing the case.
As you might guess, your attorney is the one who should make the crucial decisions as to what to share with the authorities and whether is is strategically right to share anything at all.
What is a sex offender? A sex offender is a civilian who deliberately imposes excessive sexual behavior on another civilian against his or her consent. Since 1947, California sex offenders are required by law to register their offense.
In Los Angeles and San Fernando Valley, there are different classifications for sex offenders, based on the amount of danger they pose to the public. In Los Angeles and San Fernando Valley, California, the registered categories are Serious Offenders, High Risk Offenders, and Other Offenders.
Sex crimes include many different forms of illegal sexual activity by individuals in Los Angeles County. Some of the more serious sex crimes involve Child Molestation, Child Abuse, Child Pornography, Sexual Assaults, Sexual Battery, Indecent Exposure, Lewd Conduct, Statutory Rape, Rape, Prostitution, Solicitation, Pornography, and Sodomy. A violation that has been rising across the nation is Internet Solicitation of Minors. You may have seen this on the popular show on Dateline NBC “To Catch a Predator”.
Not only do the Los Angeles Criminal Courts deal very harshly with sex offenders in terms of ordering very severe sentences, but most of these violations require the convicted individual to register as a sex offender pursuant to California Penal Code §290. Note that this is a lifetime requirement that can have severe consequences for the person convicted as well as his or her family. It can damage that person’s personal, social, and business life.
Sex Crimes is a very sensitive area of the law. These kinds of cases must be handled with the utmost of care and highest regards for attention. If you have been charged or under investigation for committing a sex crime, please call the Hedding Law Firm to set up an appointment for a free consultation at no obligation so we can review your pending case and give you the best legal advice on how to move forward.
We have over 75 years combined experience with the State court system throughout the Los Angeles County and San Fernando Valley area. This means we know the judges, have worked with prosecutors, and know all the angles for you.
Finding an Attorney Immediately is the Way to Move Forward
It is critically important for you to have an experienced and seasoned attorney to assess your case as early as possible. Early intervention by our experienced Los Angeles and San Fernando Valley team gives you the opportunity to potentially reduce or dismiss either felony or misdemeanor charges against you before the first court date. We have done this in the past and know how to fight for you to get your life back!
Please feel free to call for a no obligation free consultation in our office so that we can assess your case and choose how best to defend and resolve your case.
A serious sex offender is one whose offense falls under the category of a felony sex offense committed against an adult. These sex offenders must be registered in their community and are generally not expected to re-commit a sex offense.
A civilian who falls under this category is considered a serious threat to the public, a sexual predator, and someone who has committed multiple violent sex crimes.
These include people who are not required to register and include offenses in spousal rape, pornography, indecent exposure, misdemeanor sexual battery, or minors convicted in juvenile court.
We Defend Sex Crimes
A BREAK DOWN OF STRATEGIES IN A SEX CRIME CASEClick To Play
Chalk Talk Video About Sex Crime Strategies
“RONALD HEDDING IS THE ABSOLUTE BEST!! I’m so thankful and appreciative to have a lawyer like Ron. I was ridiculously charged with attempted burglary. I was 22 at the time, bailed myself out; and was facing 6 months in county jail, 5 yrs probation, and an extensive amount of community service. I seen a video on Youtube...”